Professional Treatment for Migraines and Headaches in Houston
Neurology Consultants of Houston Treats Migraines and Headaches
Generalized pain relievers and at-home treatment methods don’t alleviate all types of chronic head pain. Anyone who has experienced re-occurring headaches and migraines knows how frustrating it can be to go about daily activities with constant pain in the background. If you have struggled to find an effective management solution for your chronic headaches, you’ve come to the right place. The caring team at Neurology Consultants of Houston will put in the time to truly get to know you, your symptoms, and your lifestyle. With this information in mind, we will provide an accurate diagnosis and build out a customized headache treatment plan. Our goal is to alleviate your pain and set you up for a future free of debilitating headaches. Give our Houston team a call today to get started on your pain relief journey.
Types of Headaches and Migraines
Our headache and migraine specialists are highly experienced in diagnosing and treating chronic head pain. Communication with your physician is essential in order to determine an accurate diagnosis and build an effective treatment plan. We use the latest diagnostic technology, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), and ultrasound scans, to find the answers you deserve. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the most common types of headaches and discuss your symptoms with our neurologists:
- Tension Headache: Tension headaches are very common and can often be alleviated with over-the-counter pain relievers. Symptoms may include dull, achy pain in the head or soreness in the neck.
- Chronic Headache: Chronic headaches are typically defined as head pain that is present for at least 14 days per month. These headaches are often related to underlying conditions.
- Cluster Headache: This rare condition is characterized by intense pain attacks occurring in cyclical patterns, or cluster periods. The pain is often sharp, short-lasting, and very intense on one side of the head. Cluster periods may last for weeks at a time, followed by pain-free periods of remission.
- Sinus Headache: Sinus headaches are the result of an infection or inflammation in the sinuses. Symptoms often include fatigue, nasal congestion, and deep pressure around the eyes, forehead, brow, or cheeks.
- Migraine: The severe pain associated with migraines may last anywhere from 4 to 72 hours. Common symptoms include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, and throbbing pain in the head or neck.
Common Causes of Headaches
Most people will inevitably experience a headache at some point in their lives. The pain is caused by the activation of muscle-related nerves by an unknown source. This nerve activation ultimately sends pain signals to the brain. Over-the-counter medication may do the trick for alleviating mild to moderate pain. Regardless of the severity level, pinpointing the source of your pain can help you prevent its reoccurrence in the future. Some of the most common causes of headaches and migraines include the following:
- Sleep Deprivation
- Dietary Changes
- Poor Posture
- Strong Odors
- Strong Lighting
- Weather Changes
- Exposure to Allergens
Treatment Options for Headaches and Migraines
Our team of neurologists and nurse practitioners is equipped with decades of experience in the healthcare field. We are confident we can help you find pain relief with a treatment plan built specifically for you. After landing on a diagnosis and pinpointing any underlying conditions, we may recommend a variety of treatment methods, including lifestyle counseling, dietary changes, medication, stress management, infusion therapy, Botox®, and more. Our physicians understand that no two headaches are the same, and every patient requires a personalized approach to treatment. We will work with you to ensure your treatment plan fits your lifestyle and is effective for long-term relief.
Contact Neurology Consultants of Houston for the Relief You Deserve
You deserve to live a life free of pain, and we’re ready to help you get there. Our dedicated team of neurologists will put in the time necessary to find the solution you’ve been searching for. Contact us or stop by our Houston clinic location today to get started. We would be happy to answer your headache treatment questions or help you schedule an initial appointment.